Sunday, September 7, 2008

OPEN LETTER TO SARAH PALIN

Dear Sarah Palin,

Saturday morning I went canvassing to support Proposition 8. This is something you stand for. It supports the language in the constitution of the state of California that defines marriage as being between a man and woman. It doesn't take away anyone's rights, such as domestic partnerships and their right to insurance coverage, etc, but leaves the definition of marriage as being between a man and a woman. But, that's not what this letter is about. This letter is about the importance of community organizing.

It takes enormous energy to galvanize disparate individuals and organize them into functional, cohesive, productive groups with a shared goal. It takes olympic organizing skills to divide these people into teams and delegate various duties and responsibilities to handle the multitude of tasks necessary to accomplish what needs to be done. And it takes a huge heart to sacrifice an individual's time, money, and other comforts for the sake of the many, so that a believed quality-of-life can be maintained or obtained.

For those of us who are new at grass roots level organizing or for veterans of community work, your glib and dismissive remarks at the Republican National Convention showed at best a lack of information and at worst, a profound streak of insensitivity bordering on small-mindedness. You, madam, are either ignorant or pissy. And neither of those are qualities I care for in a vice-president.

Regards,

Deborah Katz, voter, new community activitist

4 comments:

Emmy said...

I love Sarah Palin. . and you make me crazy. Must I just cancel out your vote for the rest of my life? Oh, well. ..I will just make it work!

Anonymous said...

what i stand in reverance of is the fact that Emily and you can be on opposite sides like this and not hurl invectives (love that word - tastes like walnuts) at one another.

being overseas, i am out of the loop. what did sarah say, deb?

Diane said...

I like Sarah Palin...but I LOVE how you write. And how you think.
"You madam...are either ignorant or pissy."
I could just hear you say that...and probably with a bowling shoe in one hand and a spoon in the other.
(I am still chuckling)

Eli Bowman said...

I coached little league...:)