Thursday, November 11, 2010

OLD AGE...BRING IT!

This afternoon, I took my 90 yr old mother, Wendy, and her brother, 86 yr-old brother Billy Jay, to lunch. I've discussed being out with these two before. They both have a hearing deficit and neither one of them will wear a hearing aide. This makes dining out with them challenging, to say the least. But I digress....

Obviously, when you've been siblings for that many decades, you kinda sorta know each other. We sat down in the restaurant, ordered our drinks, and after they arrived, my sweet uncle calmly unwrapped the paper from around the top of his straw, placed it in his mouth, and blew the paper off of the straw and directly into his sister's forehead. Yea. Not to be outdone, his 90 yr-old sister unwrapped her straw in a "Game-on!!!" type of fashion and blew HER straw paper at HIM, which, incidentally, flew past my face and into the aisle...landing about a boat ride and two plane trips away from its intended target.

The remainder of the lunch involved bickering about medical advice, advice about spouses, advice about cooking, etc. On the way home, as is typical, we drove through an old historic cemetery in the south side of Columbus, Ohio.

I can hear your envy....

11 comments:

Paige said...

your mom is looking great for her age!

The Katzbox said...

Thanks Paige. Yea...she does look good. She lives in her own house and has a very busy social calendar. I want to be her when I grow up.

People are always surprised when they find out how old she is. And then they find out I'm her daughter and I jokingly say, "Yea, and I'm 70!", no one ever acts surprised....I'm starting to take it personally.....

Blasé said...

I agree with Paige.

HA! I bet those two have LOTS of 'advice' to give.

ok....back your lips away from the top of the blog, I'm starting to feel weird making-out with the computer screen...

The Katzbox said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Katzbox said...

You know, I made what I thought was a cute remark about posting cute pictures of animals and other things in the Katzbox header, but it didn't sound right or look appropriate after I posted it...duh...sorry....

Blase', you keep me jumpin'.

:)

Emmy said...

So funny! I always love those two together.

Gorilla Bananas said...

They both look in amazing shape. Playing pranks must keep you young.

Marla said...

Oh, you have no idea how envious I am. They sound like my parents with their siblings. What I wouldn't give for another one of "those" outings with the old coots. Great post!

The Katzbox said...

GorillaBananas: I think you're correct. Staying child-like, without being childish, is key. Of course, the loud bickering I could do without. I'm betting you're going to be around awhile... :)

Marla: Thanks! I had to reach a certain age to appreciate their orneriness...I was raised around a pack of silly adults, but I'm fully on board now and I see it in my bro and I. :)

jojo said...

oh to be that age and still be having a blast. I do envy it. My family is far, far away and my troubled teen is bringing drama far and wide.

Dutch Sugar Babe said...

What a fun day.

Silly/Playful family members are the best.
They will keep you on your toes.