Sunday, October 5, 2008

NORTHLAND HIGH SCHOOL CLASS OF 1973, COLUMBUS,OHIO-I'M CALLING YOU

Well, I've discovered "Facebook"...and oh no...this is an amazing and frightening tool for reconnecting with people from one's past. I've had a blast finding a couple of old friends from high school. They look fabulous...(what's THAT about? In MY fantasy, I'M the one that wows everyone!!!), they're happy and they appear to be compassionate and active in their communities. The frightening aspect, beside the obvious, which is the ONE PERSON YOU DON'T WANT CONTACTING YOU who actually finds you, moves to your neighborhood, joins your church, volunteers at your kids school, yada yada yada, but that's what restraining orders are for and it's a cute way to tell people how my husband and I met, but anyhoo, the disturbing thing is when I try to remember the names of people I went to high school with. I'll be doing a "search" for them and I'll draw a complete blank. Gone. Fade to black. Nothing. I may get a first name, then nothing. I'll see a face; youthful, beautiful, laughing, and nothing else. How can that be? High School was only 10 or 15 minutes ago, right? RIGHT?...

Maybe if Facebook could arrange to have a line of photos from various senior yearbooks from the 70s...yea...like, 1973 Northland High School, Columbus, Ohio...and I could pick the ones I want to reconnect with, just click on sweet face number one, then sweet face number ten, and on and on...oh yea, that'll happen....I guess I'll just be spending the next several days in a fog trying to remember names...I'll be sputtering out syllables, getting glassy-eyed and looking off into the distance as I bleed through my forehead trying to remember a name I said everyday for four years in a row...FACEBOOK!!!! I hate you and love you. Here's a restraining order...when can you marry me?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

let me help you out a little:

her name is either Linda, Susan, Mary, Nancy, Debbie, Sharon, or Ann.

his name is either David, John, Mark, Mike, Bill, or Bob.

at least that narrows the field down a bit.

The Katzbox said...

No kidding. And she had a "shag" hair cut or really long straight hair parted in the middle.

Anonymous said...

and bell bottoms. ELEPHANT bell bottoms, even.