Wednesday, October 29, 2008

My First Poem, age 7 (or 8)

I was reading a dear friend's blog (Brown And Serve) and she posted her very first poem. Her husband found it while cleaning house...it was a poignant little poem written during adolescence...

It made me think of my very first poem. I had forgotten that I had written it. I'm not even certain that it counts as a poem, but as the author of the words, I'm making it officially a poem. I was 7 or 8 years old. It was stuffed into the bottom drawer of my mom's dresser for several years. I can't remember the occasion for my actually writing it down, but oddly, I can remember the FEELING of it EXACTLY! When I discovered the poem several years later, it took me back immediately to that time and that jumbled up combination of emotions that pushed those words out and onto the page. I have always thought in very vivid pictures and this was proof. I even illustrated it! Here is my very first "poem".

"My love is like a ghost in a haunted house. It floats right through my heart."

Debbie Katz, Age 7 or 8

Someone should have medicated my butt. (this is not MY illustration)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

pretty sophisticated for a 7- or 8-year old, Deb!

The Katzbox said...

Well, I'm not certain it was sophistication as much as I was just describing what I "saw" in my chest, if that makes sense...and all I had were metaphors really, so....

Emmy said...

wow, mom! that's just plain scary.. .. and deep.

The Katzbox said...

It didn't feel scary at the time...I was just describing something...it was just me and my head...you know, me and my brain, my constant companion....but I finally woke up and figured out the ridiculous grouping of words this morning...I've lived over five decades and after typing that out yesterday I woke up this morning with the lightbulb over my head shining...it just coalesced into my own personal "aha" moment...nothing big or scary...just me going, "Oh..I see"....wacky little girl.....