Tuesday, March 16, 2010

WEIRD/GOOD/BAD OLD DAYS....

Remember the weird/good/bad old days when the rule was this, "Never discuss politics, religion or sex in company". I have come to appreciate that particular rule of civility. One of the main reasons I stopped watching the Oscar award show was because of the awkward acceptance speeches and their political agendas. I like the rain forest. I have even prayed for the rain forest. But I don't want my favorite leading man or woman to spout off about it during their 30 second acceptance speech. Say "thank you" please, and sit down. Please...let me see them getting served at a bistro in Beverly Hills and while their server is placing their green tea-oxygen drink in front of them, say in rushed/hushed tones, "Here's your order and please, for the love of all thinks holy, pray for the endangered Venezuelan beaver mite. The artificial proliferation of the high-canopied bump monkey, due in part to the imbalance of the algae in the Amazon, is wrecking havoc on the beaver mite. Please, won't you use your power and influence to do the right thing?" I don't think so...

I just don't think we're powerful enough to change peoples' minds. We're all wired to think a certain way and that's that. In fact, I think I've said before, our brains are actually wired to RESIST being changed. That's why getting someone to think differently is so difficult. Huzzah to missionaries!!! But I suppose that's a different thing altogether.

Let people vote exactly how they're going to vote because the truth is, they're going to do it anyway. Certainly, make opportunities available for people to speak their minds. Allow and even advocate for people to educate themselves. Puhleese, advocate for people to educate themselves. But then let it go. Don't call them names for voting differently from you. And for goodness sakes, when did we start asking people for whom they voted?!? When did that stop being a private affair???

I'm so appalled at the actions of our political parties of late, I no longer consider myself a Democrat OR a Republican. It's embarrassing to see the actions of people I should be respecting---on BOTH sides, no less.

I don't typically rant. I leave that to people who are smarter and funnier than me. But yikes, people...

I'm rather missing the days of civility.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, why on earth i didn't write this myself, i have no clue.

i just plain couldn't be in greater agreement, period. COULD NOT.

Emmy said...

You tell 'em, mom!

Eli Bowman said...

holler!!!!!!!