Tuesday, March 9, 2010

COOKIES, HAWKING, PSYCHING OUT THE BUYERS....


The onslaught of Girl Scout Cookies is upon us. Remember when you had to actually know someone to purchase them? Those days are over! I'm all for the new way of thinking. Just get out there and move your product. Why do you have to know an actual Girl Scout to buy the cookies? Why must those girls have to knock on doors of strangers to move the product?

These days they are out in full force hawking their product in front of the local supermarkets. Of course, it's usually their mom's doing the deeds, but they're making money for their troops and the girls are typically right there with their leaders doing the foot-work, running to get the boxes, counting the change, etc. It's a beautiful thing.

The other day I was coming OUT of the store and a little girl was standing in front of her mom doing the "selling". She would stand there rather shyly and approach each person as they were leaving the store, saying such things as, "Do you wanna buy a box of cookies"? My heart was breaking. I politely declined, but as I was parking my shopping basket and picking up my bags I witnessed this little girl devolve into a pool of tears after her final rejection. I ran over and said, "How much?" To which the mother smiled (while stroking her daughter's head) and said, "four dollars". I just gave her a five and took whatever box they had (which, luckily was the groovy coconut/caramel/chocolate dribble). I then advised her to turn her daughter around and approach the people as they came INTO the building while they were still hungry (hopefully) and had some cash (hopefully) and weren't over budget. Psychologically, I think they (maybe) had a better chance of selling....

Last night they got me again....two boxes worth....the lemon ones, this time...but the little girl running the display stand added this, "Yea, and these aren't the ones from San Diego that smelled so they had to recall them!"....thanks, honey....

I'm eating them as I type this....

I'll be so glad/sad/thinner when cookie season ends.....

3 comments:

Bumblebee Glee said...

Oh young entrepreneurs at work, man I miss those days. Love those samoas-seriously the best cookies ever. That was so nice of you to go back and buy a box, now how many people do that?!

Jette said...

Out of the blue one of Emma's friends showed up at my door with 15 boxes of cookies. You read correctly 15!! I of course had no idea that Chris bought so many cookies. $45 worth!!! And you know how long the lasted???? ONE DAY!! No lie!! ONE DAY! LOL

:) said...

ohhh yummy girl scout cookies! So- our neighbors girls are girl scouts and I have been waiting patiently to buy my stash from them. Warren knows how much girl scout cookies mean to me and so they came a knockin at the door and I was so excited to hear them ask Warren to buy what they were selling from up the stairs. I then heard Warren say " sorry we want cookies" and shut the door. I ran down to ask him what happened and he said the girls decided to sell candy instead this year-what??? So, warren said sorry we want cookies, we would have bought a ton of cookies. I think my neighbors officially hate us, their children are traumatized for life and I am hungry!! Enjoy your cookies for me!