Monday, March 1, 2010

HANK TUDOR, KING OF THE HILL.....

I have an interest that I've enjoyed for years and years and years. I kept it in the closet for most of my life because few, if any, shared it and because if it became known, I would be the crowned Her Royal Highness, Geekela Supreme. It's not THAT odd, but growing up in the 60s and 70s, no one else actually shared it with me and I already felt out of place so...I kept it to myself. However, because I have a daughter-in-law who also is rather enamored of such things (love you Abby), although she has maintained it at a sane level, and with the proliferation of historical novels and television series devoted to the more titillating characters from history, I can come clean and confess my relative obsession with royal blood lines. I simply love stories and anecdotes and the history of the royal houses of Europe. LOVE THEM!!! Let me explain how deeply geekified I have gotten into this royal bloodline thing. One time, my sister Judy (an epidemiologist) and I traced Queen Victoria's mutant (or was it?) hemophiliac gene through all of the major houses of Europe and Russia through her offspring and grandchildren. That's almost pathetic.

Anyway, Showtime has done this incredible job with its series on the The Tudors (irrespective of how accurate), I am most definitely enthralled even more. I'm watching the 3rd installment in the series and even Peter is fascinated. Showtime has spared no expense in the shooting of this magnificent series. The scenery, the costuming, the sets, the buildings, but more than that, this third season has the most delicious and profound writing of them all. I'm slow on the viewing of it because I've had to wait for the series to become available via Netflix....so you may be way ahead of me...it doesn't matter, we all know how it turns out, right?

Henry the 8th, besides struggling constantly with his own demons (he wasn't even supposed to be the king in the 1st place, his older brother Edward was, but died prematurely while married to Catharine of Aragon, a sheroe in her own right), is reforming the Church of England and because his affections are so easily turned from one to another, his doctrine is influenced by whomever he's married to, or his grief, or his hatred. It's an amazing process to watch and Showtime has totally delivered. One big problem is the sexual content. Okay, okay, okay, I get it, Henry liked the ladies...a covert glance and a shadowy figure leaving his room can convey as much as a sweaty body....got it!

Anyway, I'm in geek heaven. And I'm extra happy because I have a week off between semesters so I can finish this third season with relative ease and guilt free. awwww.....

Bring it on Hank....


1 comment:

Unknown said...

ooo! sign me up baby!