Wednesday, March 3, 2010

BUTTERFLY KISSES, GERMS, NEW ORLEANS JAZZ....

I'm rather frightened sometimes that I sound like a one-trick pony..."wow, all that woman ever writes about is her grand kids or family"...yes, it's probably true. But if you were around them, you would write about them also because they're so funny and bright. Yes, that's a grandmotherly perspective, I know. I hear myself say those words and it's like, "Really, Debbie? Did you just say that?"....but they're so funny because their parents are funny and they act like their parents!!! I watch them watch their parents and they emulate them with hand movements and other non-verbals and it's hysterical to watch little people behave like that! It's also funny when they communicate. I'll stop trying to explain myself now. This is why I placed a moratorium on trying to explain myself. One-I don't do it well and I tend to raise more questions than I answer. Two-I'm in my fifth decade and I don't have to do it so much anymore. Three-pffffftttttttt.

So, that said, here's what happened yesterday. First, for my peeps who aren't on Facebook. Yesterday when I referred to myself as "an idiot", my 2-year-old grandson came to my defense by saying, "Her no idiot, her a toy!". Thanks buddy...But to continue...

I was at Emmy's with the kiddos. They're ill with bad chest colds. They have asthma and therefore are on antibiotics, steroids, inhalers, nebulizers, vaporizers, things you have to rub into their bellies (just kidding on that last one), but you get the idea. I'm telling you, between the lot of 'em you can maybe get one and half good, functional lung.

Anyway, Em was resting and I was holding both of the kids (age 5 and 2) and I said to the 2-year-old, "do you know how to do a butterfly kiss?". He said, "Yes! I know how to do a butterfly kiss!" at which point he grabbed my face by both my cheeks, and I saw his mouth moving closer and closer to my left eye. I then felt his lips in my eye area and he began sucking on my eyelids. I'm now yelling, "HEY! HEY!" But then his sister thinks, "cool game, let's suck grandma's eyes out of their sockets". So she (who is big and strong) attacks my other eye with her cute little face and they are both now kissing, slobbering and laughing on top of both my eyes. At this point, I can actually feel their germs partying in my face as they make their way through my sinuses like a New Orleans Jazz Funeral....dancing, playing instruments, and preparing to bury themselves deep within the membranes of my nose, throat and ears to resurrect in a day or two as the beautiful infections they were born to be. But I don't care because every single minute was totally worth it. All of those giggles, all of those chubby fingers on my cheeks, every kiss, every hug-all of it was totally worth it.

When I wake up with a headache, or a stuffy nose, Imma smile and dance cause Imma remember those butterfly kisses.....

5 comments:

Emmy said...

Oh, mom. . .you're just magic to those kids. Thanks for your sense of humor and your endless love for them - they are so lucky to have you! So am I!!!

The Katzbox said...

Well thanks, honey, but I was thinking the other way around....

Let's get the rest of the crew together for a big, huge, butterfly kiss, love fest!!!!!

minus the germs... :)

Bumblebee Glee said...

Have you ever read something silently but laughed at all the funny parts out loud? That's what I was doing and Adam just kept asking, "what?!" Oh Debbie, you crack me up.

Unknown said...

Haha! I can picture every second of that and it's so cute!

Unknown said...

Haha! I can picture every second of that and it's so cute!