Friday, June 4, 2010

AUSTRALIAN RESTAURANT: EAT UP OR GET OUT!

There is a Japanese restaurant in Sydney, Australia that demands, rather emphatically, that its patrons finish all of their food that they order. If they do, they get a 30% discount. If they leave food on their plates, they as asked to go to another restaurant in the future, thank you very much.

I had no idea my mother was running a business on another continent.

But for real, the chef, Yukako Ichikawa, insists that her business is actually IN the business of sustainability...sustaining nourishment of the body, as well as the environment. I'm intrigued by the idea. Here we are bombarded by over-sized this and super-sized that. I, for one, have always had eyes that are bigger than my stomach. Just ask my kids or husband. I'll order a meal that an entire GROUP of people can't finish. I get giddy thinking about portions. One of my greatest delights is noshing on leftover dinner late at night. It's an issue, I realize....

Anyway, this is a strong stance for a business owner-especially because it involves such an "invasive" policy with consumers. Stuff your face, save some money, or go somewhere else. That's pretty clear. I'd like to see that here and see what happens...I'm wondering who would have the chutzpah to do it....

No comments: