Thursday, October 8, 2009

MISCELLANEOUS OBSERVATIONS IN SOCAL ON 10/8/09

Today I saw a lone motorcyclist zooming down the carpool lane on the 215-South. Wow. What a bold initiative. Or crazy one. There could be, really, just two explanations. He was simply and boldly making his way through the crowd in the least used, least crowded and therefore easiest to speed in lane-cops be darned. OR. He was new to the area and didn't realize that it WAS a carpool lane and he would soon be caught AND be almost $300.00 poorer. Either way, it was quite entertaining. I'm pleased that it didn't bug me and that I found it, frankly, refreshing. Go lone motorcyclist, go!

I read an article on the prevalence of daydreaming and how important it is to mental health. However, I didn't quite agree on what the authors/researchers considered daydreaming. Anything that has the word "dreaming" in it connotes symbolism/escapism/fantasy, etc. What these people considered daydreaming was putting together a dinner menu while changing your baby's diaper at noon. Wha???? I think that's too practical for daydreaming. So basically, what they're considering daydreaming is anything that is not-of-the-moment concentration. These people are not fun. No wonder they marvel at daydreaming. Yeesh....they must be ever-present, ever-vigilant, ever mindful. Hey, I'm all for mindfulness in the transcendent, meditative practice, but puhleese..... I suppose we absolutely need people like that...I would want those types of people to fly the airplanes I'm in or to perform my surgeries, but I wouldn't hang out at the mall with them....no thanks...but keep staying on point, my focused friends...you rock.....

The buses in my relatively new, clean, little city are equipped with satellite television and WIFI. Really. So, all those weeks when I didn't have the internet, I could have ridden a bus around town, learned my way around, used my computer, and caught up on all my shows. Basically, it's a living-room on wheels. Nice.

As I was driving home this afternoon, I heard a cute little "honk" from the car next to me. I looked over and there, in the back seat of the car next to me was a cute little 2-year-old boy named Clarkie. I said to him what I always say to him when we run into each other around town, "Hi Clarkie, it's Moo Moo, I am EVERYWHERE!!!" Then we blew kisses at each other and I pulled into my apartment complex. What a treat!

My step-son Eli will be 18 on Friday. He's out with a friend from Church tonight. His dad called him and checked up on him. After he hung up I asked his Dad, "Are you going to do that to him when he's 18?" His Dad replied, "I'm going to do it to him when he's 40!" Fair enough.

I had to go to the doctor's office today. It was a new doctor. The medical assistant took my blood pressure. The cup was barely tight around my arm so I knew it wasn't going to be accurate. She said, "120 over 80. That's perfect". What she meant is that it's perfectly generic. She didn't really take my blood pressure. So I said, "Hmmmm, that's pretty high for me. My blood pressure typically runs 90 over 60." She said, "Really? Well, people's pressures run high when they go to the doctor." I had to bite my tongue to keep from saying, "Hmmmm, well! The doctor's office is the ONLY PLACE THAT I GET MY PRESSURE TAKEN"....but I didn't....cause I'm nice...

And tomorrow is another day...ain't it grand?

2 comments:

rachelsaysso said...

I've heard somewhere that it's legal for motorcycles to be in the carpool lane. I would much rather them be there then zipping in between the lanes. That terrifies me. I've seen way too many HORRIFIC motorcycle accidents on the freeway to feel comfortable about them.

Unknown said...

I would agree with that. That scares me to death. It's not my nature to constantly be checking my side mirror for speeding cyclists; especially when I'm stopped in gridlock...that's when it REALLY stops my heart.