Thursday, August 28, 2008

CALL YOUR GRANDMOTHER

And then THIS occurred to me...

I'm sitting here loving on Clarkie...just smothering him with kisses and hugs, and getting them in return...with all of the little toothy smiles and hugs back...and my mind rolls back in time...and I see my mother, Wendy, doing the same. exact. things.

She was, and is, a wonderful grandmother. Like me, probably a better grandmother than mother. She adored her grand babies. She behaved totally out of character for them. I had the privilege of getting to know "Wendy", a woman I had never met, when my children were born. She schlepped them to Chuckie Cheese, they climbed all over her lap, she laughed at them and looked them in the eyes...she was AMAZING! So, I did the math...when I'm Wendy's age, 88, Clarkie will be 36, Emma will be 45, Alex will be 47, and the ladies will be, what?, 34?. If none of them ever called me, or came over, or wrote me, I would just want to die. To never be remembered, after showering all of this affection, would be worse than death. To never be remembered....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

jeeminy, debbie, what makes you worry that your grandkids won't remember you? holy moly, it's hardly like you're the forgettable type.

i'd cross this one off your Things to Worry About List, for sure.

you might want to worry about gravity, though. believe me, it takes its toll.

The Katzbox said...

Mean Mr. Gravity...bastard.