Wednesday, June 11, 2008

WEIRD PHONE CONVERSATION BETWEEN SISTER AND ELDERLY MOTHER

My sister, Stephanie, was in her doctor's office...this doctor also treats our 88-year-old mother (Wendy), whom Stephanie often accompanies to her visits there, so the doctor knows each of them...quite well, actually...soooooooooo, while Stephanie was speaking with her doctor, about mother, her phone rings...the convo went down like this:

Steph: Ummm, Doc, it's mother calling from her cell phone, do you mind if I take this?

Nicest Doc on planet Earth: Oh, certainly not, please.

Steph: Hello? Mom?

Mother (LOUDLY): STEPHANIE? IS THAT YOU? I'VE HIT A DEER! *static* DID YOU HEAR THAT?

Steph: Mom? Did you say you hit a deer?

Doc: ?

Mother: I HIT A DEER. I HAVE TO GO NOW, I'M AT HENRY'S.

Steph: Doctor, I think I'd better leave. Mother just hit a deer and she's at Pop's, so maybe I should go check on things.

Doc: Yes, by all means. Would you like some antidepressants?

Steph: ?

10 Minutes pass, Steph arrives at the nursing home where Pops lives and meets up with Mom in the lobby. They visit with Pop, another story, not enough space, and Steph walks her out to her car to inspect it.

Mother: Stephanie, the car is fine, I already looked it over!

Steph: Oh really Mother? How about this part of the grill that's broken and where all this fur is? How about that, huh?

Mother: Oh well, I guess I didn't see that. Well, I'm hungry and I'm leaving to get a sandwich.

Steph: You mind helping me pull some of this fur out first?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay, that may not strike some of you as funny, but I have to tell you, when you hear my sister tell it, it's hysterical. They are so stinkin' funny together...their chemistry and the way their relationship has evolved is so convoluted and layered and unique...it blows my mind. There is no one else who can fill the niche that each one of them fill for each other...it's cliche now, but they really do put the "fun" in dysFUNctional. Family...honest to blog, they're the best!!!

1 comment:

Jette said...

I'm laughing my butt off!! I can totally see both of them and hear Aunt Duck tell the story. How funny.