Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Fustercluck to the Whitehouse!!!!!



So, today I voted and it was a mess...I'm truly worried about our votes here in the Coachella Valley in Southern California. If I wasn't a more honest person, I could have illegally voted several times.

At approximately 7:15 this morning, I thought I would go vote and get it done. It was on the way to Palm Springs, where I had an appt, so the timing was perfect. I get to this big Doral Princess Resort and I report for voting...there are about four people working, twiddling their thumbs with nothing to do...and of course, I have to report to the crankiest man on the planet...oh YAY...but, what the heck, I'm not going to let it get me down cause I'M VOTING!!!...but, they can't find me...no name...they send me down the corridor and to the left where there is another precinct...I think, "okay, not a problem"....go to the other precinct, another woman and I together, and there is only one sweet little man there, sitting at a table surrounded by mounds of papers and procedures, AND HE KNOWS NOTHING...I'm actually a little worried for him because he seems rather fragile and easily broken and I know, when the rush starts, he will be devoured alive by angry, annoyed Republicans...doh!...voters...so I try to be helpful and patient because HE CAN'T FIND ME EITHER...ME OR THE OTHER WOMAN...well, this woman is just beside herself at this point...she finally says huffily, "Well, you've just lost a vote!"...I wanted to correct her and say, "No, YOU just lost a vote, this man isn't running for office", but it didn't seem like such a good idea...so he still can't find me, or any of the other people that are strolling in so I ask him if I can vote on a provisional ballot?...oh, no problem the nice little "eez-not-my-station" man says so he gives me a provisional vote in a folder and the only items on it are issues...NO CANDIDATES!!!...I step back to the table, which has formed a seething, angry crowd, not unlike the souls carrying torches and pitchforks as they came to kill Frankenstein and I realize, "hey...my vote is going nowhere and fast, what would Super Voter do?...so I ran around the corner, locatet a "poll inspector"...who just must have pulled the shortest stick on the route and I ask if any of the people who are sitting here rather idle could come and help the poor man being blugeoned to death by patriotic people...who, by the way, are of the "Greatest Generation"...don't get me started...and you know what he does?...he get's into an argument with the workers there about sending their "supervisor" because "she knows nothing"...oh, by all means, send the person who doesn't know anything, that will fix things nicely...so finally I make contact with the "inspector" and say, "You need to help this man NOW"...and I leave...the inspector arrives and all the scene took was some random confetti and it would have been a Laugh-In skit (go back in a time machine if you don't get that...youngster), so finally, I get the right voting stuff...mind you, he still has my voting information on the issues so now I'm revoting for the same things...and now it's time to place my vote in the idiot-proof box saved for just this occasion...the inspector finally locates the idiot box for our precinct, snaps off the lid (where we would normally place our votes through a mail-like slot) and what's inside?...GARBAGE!!! TRASH!!! I was crazy at this point but there were no puppies or kitties to kick and WWII veterans just hate it when you kick their prosthetic legs so I fnally placed my vote in there and made sure he didn't count my previous vote for the issues...and then I realized, no one took my name, my number, my ID...NOTHING...so now I'm thinking, "What if I went to several precincts, gave them my name, which they would inevitably NOT have, and vote provisional?...I could cast votes all over the Valley for my candidate...but I did not do it...because I am, regardless of how this entry reads, a person of integrity...I don't really kick puppies or kitties, nor have I ever kicked anyone in their prosthetic leg...I did knock on one once...and that is truth...me out.

5 comments:

Jette said...

I'm so sorry you went through all that. At least all in all you got you vote in...right?!

The Katzbox said...

You betcha baby doll...the system rocks...we're watching CNN and are following the pools as they move west...WOOT!!!

Diane said...

yep...I was up pert near all night long. Virginia doesn't vote until next week. But I do love this country...with all the crazy people included.
By the way....long ago my cousin and I put a couple of marbles in my great-uncle's wooden leg holes when he was sleeping. He was a mean man, so I feel justified.

The Katzbox said...

And that is why we are friends at a very soulful level...heh heh...way to go Diane.....

Anonymous said...

Gleaning something else from your missive - sadly, EVERYONE is angry, not just the Republicans (of which I guess I am one, so watch what ya say, girlfriend! J/K!). But seriously, and truthfully, there is so much anger AND HATRED on both sides, it makes my sides hurt. We can't even agree on what's right and wrong anymore. If I hadn't had the responsibility to vote pounded it into me from my, yes, REPUBLICAN parents, not to mention my PROBABLY REPUBLICAN high school civics teacher, I think I may have very well fallen in with the disillusioned crowd - a looooooooong time ago - and stopped even bothering to show up at the polls. But alas, I do it - every year - and in the case of the presidentials, every four. But sadly, very sadly, I do it with less enthusiasm and, what's worse, more despair, every time.