Thursday, February 14, 2008

And in today's episode...

Well, today Gia and went to her family physician. We asked, and received, a B12 shot for Gia, as well as a number of nutional supplements. Dr. Steinberg doesn't believe in writing Rx's, which is perhaps best for an old lady, tho I would never refer to Gia as old in front of her.

Today she was depressed...she received a letter from her daughter in Jordan. She never sends money, only "kisses"...sorry, but that doesn't cut it. I'm going to write her a letter...a strong one...she's crazy to not do anything for her mom...NOTHING...

So today we made her funeral plans. She wants to be cremated, which is fine...the guy in town that does that stuff is LDS, so cool. Then, she really wants her ashes to be sent back to her family's cemetary in Tuscany (she came from a very wealthy family), but now the cemetary is in extended family's hands and she doesn't know if they would accept her...WHAT?...this is so foreign to me (no pun intended)...So I asked her if her daughter could call this family in Italy and arrange it...no, Fluvia can't do this...she doesn't want to get involved...her mother says, "I'll have to figure out what to do with my paintings (old water colors that she did, who knows how many years ago)...I asked her if we could send them to Fluvia and she said, "No, she doesn't want them"...MY EYES POPPING OUT....fine...I'll take them..and then the bomb drops, she goes over once again her mechanism for contacting me after the "take off" and I realize then that there is no where to put her ashes...it was so sad and bothering her...she didn't know what was to become of her...so I told her I would keep them safe until they somehow made it back to Tuscany to be buried/scattered...she was so pleased with this...she said, "Really? You would have me?"...I told her I would be honored and we would always be close together...this calmed her down but DANG-GONE...say what you want about rude Americans but I think we take better care of our mothers....AARRGGHH...at age 91, she should just have joy but she's going blind and deaf and can't walk unassisted so she has to plan all this stuff....Thank the Lord for the Gospel...thank you thank you thank you....me out.



The above is a "soul burst"...it's a way to capture someone's ashes in a glass sculpture...ain't it cool?...they also have oil lamps...this is so stinkin cool....

3 comments:

frizzlefry said...

You just keep us posted on this. Reb is looking for any excuse to travel to Tuscany, so let me be the first to offer a scattering of ashes- anywhere in Italy that she chooses. Just let her know she is loved by people who have never even met her. How can kids be so callous to their parents? Ayyiyiyiyi!

Eli Bowman said...

Instead of saying "Mama-Mia!", do you ever say "Mama-Gia!"?

Anyway...she sound like a wonderful lady. Maybe I'll get to meet her next month while I'm out there. I would love that!

Unknown said...

That is just too sad. She is so blessed to have you as a friend. I echo Eli's thoughts, I'd love to meet her too.