Saturday, February 19, 2011

MY SHITZHU, TINK:PLAYING IS A FULL-TIME JOB

I have two dogs, both shitzhus, but both entirely different. They barely resemble each other. One is short, squat, quiet, and very very "in the moment". His name is Buddha. He stays next to me all the time. Where I am, he is there also. The other one is small boned, sprightly, light, and her name is Tink, as in "Tinkerbell". I can't believe how inspired these names were. When I took Tink to the vet for her first visit, he twisted her about, unfolded her, peered here and there, held her up to the light (seriously, like a gem stone) and said, "Well [pause for dramatic effect], you're going to be handful". Thanks Doc. Here's $1,000.

The prophetic nature of the vet notwithstanding, she has been "active", shall we say. She immediately called "dibs" on being the alpha. Buddha, as is his nature, became the curmudgeonly-but-benign Wilford Brimley of the house. Tink, on the other hand, developed wings and flies throughout the living room and bedroom. She has mastered bilocation. She insinuates herself into situations she does NOT belong.

The other night the hubs and I were lying in bed exhausted, and he asked, "Are you licking my forehead?" I replied that I was definitely NOT licking any portion of his face. Without either of us moving he said "Tink is here". Our bed is a train ride away from the floor. She had to be RRREEEEAAAALLLLYYYYY motivated to get up there.

Sometimes my 7-year-old neighbor, Saroya, who weighs approximately 8 pounds asks to "walk" Tink around the complex. "Sure" I say....and then I watch as Tink leads her at break neck speed and they fly through the air in a blur-none of their six feet touching the ground.

When we walk together, Tink will spontaneously begin walking on her hind legs. It's disturbing to say the least. Her body hair is cut short, so she has the appearance of a meerkat when she stops and looks around.

But she's all about playing. Her job is to play. PLAY! Constantly and nonstop. You can wake her up at 3 in the morning to PLAY!!!! Here's the deal with Tink. You could tear her hind leg off, beat her over the head with it, throw it over your shoulder, and Tink would play fetch with it....SHE WOULD PLAY FETCH WITH HER OWN LEG!!!!!

I need Tink's attitude.

P.S. She snores like a prison guard

8 comments:

Dutch Sugar Babe said...

This post had me laughing until my kidneys started to hurt.

Tink has a great attitude and she cute.

Linda said...

I love this post! I can just see this peppy little girl running around. I love her!

The Katzbox said...

Well, I'm pleased that you're both laughing. I, on the other hand, just started making squeeing noises to mess with her. She thinks something is going on. Her head is cocked at a peculiar angle and she is sniffing the air. Buddha, seriously, hasn't moved from his spot in over an hour. And now Tink has magically appeared from across the room and is licking my ankle. Apparently my ankle is the cause of the odd noise.

Odd squirt of a canine, she is...

xoxo

The Katzbox said...

Dutch, I just got off your blog and it is ADORABLE!!! and you are GORGEOUS!!! I couldn't leave any comments, but man, that is one cute, readable blog. love you!!!!

Emmy said...

DI.VA. Love her!

Deborah said...

Tink is adorable. What's it like walking the two of them together?

My crazy-arse cat sits like a meerkat! We call it prairie-doggin'.

Daisy said...

I LOVE it!!!! :-)

Eli Bowman said...

That is a great post. I love pets with loads of character.