Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Whoa...what's ahappenin all up in heah?

Where to begin...hmmm...watta day...first, last night I noticed a purple plume of smoke has become all too familiar here in SoCal...and sure enough we were all driving out to dinner (a rare event) and there it was, a huge orange fire on the side of one of our mountains...the wind had actually blown it over the top of the mountain onto our side-it had originated on the other side the day before...700 acres burning and zero percent contained...the poor firefighters have to hike, in FULL UNIFORM AND EQUIPMENT, over four miles up the side of the mountain before they can battle it...it's crazy...Also, we have had a windstorm ALL DAY...the wind speed has been between 25 and 45 mph with the wind gusting to 53 mph in the pass...and that is crazy strong...definitely fun to walk in but disastrous for wildfires...and then, we had a 4.2 earthquake virtually halfway between Emmy and I located in Anza, California...I didn't feel it and when I called Jacob, five minutes after the quake, he hadn't felt it either but he was in the car so that was probably why...he said everything was still on the shelves so all is well there....what a day huh-fires, quakes and wind storms???

A neat GOOD thing that happened today was this: I went out to tend to my sprouting morning glories ( I LOVE morning glories) and while I was there, my daily humming bird showed up RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY FACE-LITERALLY!!!...I gasped and backed up...he had to back up as well-we scared each other...but he didn't leave-no way...he loves that big shrubby desert sage-type blooming bush I've got out there...he doesn't grocery shop anywhere else-just there-so he buzzes to the blossoms, then gets right back in my face, so close I could make out his little black eyes and his purple-escent head...he was so stinkin' adorable...the last time I got buzzed like that was probably 7 years ago when I first moved here...they are so dang cute and I see this guy EVERY SINGLE DAY, so I feel honored that he made a move...

Okay, it's late and I have more weather drama to live through...the wind is roaring and with 0% fire containment and aftershocks, it should be a busy night...sometimes dull is good...

No comments: